Job vacancy: Gardener based in Godalming
£19,349 pa, Permanent f/t (37.5 hrs pw) Ref: IRC72602
If you want a career in Gardening/ Arboriculture, we can offer you some of the most beautiful outdoor spaces in the UK to work in as well as one of the largest plant collections in Europe.
Established in the 20th century, this hillside arboretum has now been maintained by the National Trust for 60 years and has built up a collection of more than 1,000 different shrubs and trees, many of them rare. Visit any time of year for a delightful stroll through the personal plant collection of one man, who was passionate about shrubs and trees. The Collection and setting are too unique to ever disappoint.
As a hands-on Gardener, you’ll assist in making sure that the gardens/Arboretum are maintained to a high standard. You’ll be passionate, enthused and knowledgeable about the varied plants within the garden. This role will include a range of practical horticultural/arboricultural tasks to develop, enhance and conserve the garden and contribute to the delivery of projects. You'll be helping with hard and soft landscaping and general maintenance of the garden, such as mulching, pruning, leaf clearing and weeding. You’ll support with the planting and maintenance of trees and shrubs. You’ll be helping to maintain hedges and use ride on machinery. You’ll also take ownership of specific areas of the garden ensuring the highest standards are maintained and healthy plants are available for our visitors to enjoy.
You’ll also support garden volunteers and help them to make the most of their time here. You’ll be expected to interact with the public on a daily basis, answering the many questions, or help out with gardening workshops, tours and helping set up events when needed.
To be successful in this role you should be able to demonstrate the below:
- Trained as a professional gardener/horticulturalist with a good level of practical experience
- RHS level 2 or equivalent
- Have proven practical gardening/horticulture experience, as well as a strong knowledge of plants
- Confidence to participate in garden activities and events
- Competence with machinery/equipment use and maintenance; including tractors, chainsaws, and pedestrian mowers with accreditation as required for Health and Safety compliance
Looking after you
- Health cash plan – from as little as £3.09 per month for you and your dependents
- Pension contribution match up to 10%
- EAP and proactive Health and Wellbeing
- Discounted gym membership at over 100 leisure facilities across the country
Looking after your career
- Grow your career through professional training courses across the Trust
- Develop your skills with an internal secondment
- Pay review linked to values and behaviours, commitment to progression
- Income protection due to illness
Unique to Us
- Work in some of the most beautiful, iconic and unique locations in the UK
- Free entry to NT properties for you, a guest and your children (under 18)
- 20% off in our Retail and Food & Beverage outlets
- Discount up to 35% off a National Trust holiday cottage booking
For further information and to apply, please follow: https://careers.nationaltrust.org.uk/OA_HTML/a/#/vacancy-detail/72602
21st December 2018