Job vacancy: Planning Forester based in Newton Stewart.
£30,140 - £33,303, plus benefits
It's an exciting time for Forestry in Scotland, our organisation is changing and we need people to help us during our evolution and beyond.
The Forestry and Land Management (Scotland) Act 2018 completes the devolution of forestry from Westminster to Holyrood. Under this Act, Scottish Ministers will set up two new executive agencies: Forestry and Land Scotland (FLS) responsible for the management of the National Forest Estate and Scottish Forestry (SF) responsible for policy, regulation and grant-giving for tree planting.
As a Planning Forester within South Region of FLS, you will have the opportunity to work within a team to help shape the future management of 115,000 ha of land across Galloway.
A Planning Forester is an exciting and forward thinking role that combines leadership with facilitation and problem solving skills. Our land management plans have to be efficient and practical, but also responsive to the opportunities that the land offers and to the context of FES Corporate Plan objectives. Preparing a plan requires you to get out and about to gain first-hand knowledge of the land and develop a thorough understanding of the key management issues. In planning, you will be encouraged to think laterally and work with others to explore options to find the best land management solutions and to exploit new opportunities to improve the management of the National Forest Estate.
This permanent post will be based in the Newton Stewart office of the South Region which brings together the former FES Galloway and Dumfries & Borders Forest Districts.
You will facilitate a ‘whole team’ approach to the review and preparation of land management plans, setting out clear objectives and programmes of work to secure multiple benefits on Scotland’s National Forest Estate. You will engage with a range of disciplines, and the resulting plans will enable all members of the wider team to understand what is required of them in managing the estate towards delivering the outcomes FES has agreed with stakeholders and regulators.
Knowledge and direct experience of working in forest or land management and evidence of facilitation skills and collaborative working are key requirements of this job. The ideal candidate will be a member, or working towards membership of the Institute of Chartered Foresters or another relevant professional body.
The job offers the opportunity for flexible working and FES/FLS operate a flexi time system. Relevant Forester GIS and land management plan training as well as on the job mentoring is provided for new planning staff.
The key responsibilities for the role will include:
• Prepare land management plans (LMP) in line with the UK Forestry Standard and the UK Woodland Assurance Scheme. Including analysis of financial, environmental and social aspects of plan proposals as well as undertaking Environmental Impact Assessments (EIA) determinations when required as part of LMP revisions or amendments;
• When preparing a LMP, collaborate with relevant colleagues to explore management options, creatively address key problems identified at scoping and provide efficient and practical solutions to meeting LMP objectives over the required timeframe;
• As part of LMP preparation process, build and maintain excellent working relationships with stakeholders such as community groups and statutory consultees;
• Support the GIS Technician to maintain the local Geographic Information System (GIS) system and its data, e.g. forest inventory data held within the sub-compartment database;
• Liaise with other members of the wider team on planning matters.
For more information and to apply, please visit our website. Please quote ref 1603175
No recruitment agencies please.
We are committed to providing equal opportunities for all sectors of our diverse community.